Viscount Physis DSP Module

• Seite 3 von 4
17.08.2022 12:17
#31 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
ah

Thank you all for the good wishes! I finally got negativized, but it was pretty heavy days..

Antworten

Beitrag melden
17.08.2022 17:59
#32 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
ah

For DSPs: As far as I know, each organ model has a minimum number of DSPs that must be installed to ensure proper operation. Certainly more can be installed (with some advantages) but it is not possible to go below a certain number, because the O.S. it does not allow the organ to start and will report an error message, as Michael experienced.

For the battery: the lithium battery is a common button cell, which with a little attention can be replaced by the user (it is in the CPU board); just remove it from the battery holder and insert the new one.
Lithium batteries can also leak, but the phenomenon is much less than other types of batteries. Just replace it every 10 years and the problem does not arise.
It was much worse when companies soldered nicd batteries directly to the board.. damage was more than likely!

And of course, the causes of failure can be many, apart from battery leak: overvoltages, conductive dust that creates short circuits, repeated thermal cycles that can unsolder the joints, electrolytic capacitors that dry up over the years.
While some of these problems can be minimized by careful design (avoid putting capacitors on top of the components they heat up, use 105° capacitors, etc.), others can be minimized, at least in part, by the user (making sure a functioning earthing system and using suitable surge arresters).

Thermal cycles can be deleterious for soldering, but careful design of the cards can greatly minimize the problems: for example, the boards on which the DSPs are mounted have the same coefficient of thermal expansion as the DSPs; this means that the expansion of the board (due to the increase in temperature) follows the expansion of the DSP materials, and therefore less damage should occur over time (i.e. solders that fail).
It might seem like an unimportant topic, but in reality Shark DSPs HEAT quite a lot.
For pure curiosity I wanted to measure the temperature with a sensor in contact with the DSP and I got these results:

room temperature 25 °

DSP temperature after 30 minutes of power on, without playing: 64°C

DSP temperature after 1 hour of playing with Tutti: max 68°C

DSP temperature after 2 without playing: 63/64°C

Therefore these DSPs reach a minimum temperature of 64° when the organ is not played, and a maximum of 68° when the organ is played intensely, at an ambient temperature of 25°C. Very hot!
With such extensive thermal cycles my concern was about the durability of the DSP boards (the other boards heat up very little), but I was assured that these boards are well designed and have never received any defective DSP cards to replace since 2007.
This of course applies to all companies since Johannus and Allen also use these DSPs: a good engineering of the thermal problem is what can make the difference on a durable instrument.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.09.2022 21:56
#33 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

Zitat von Untersatz im Beitrag #29
Thx Paolo,
then I will call the Kisselbach Team ;)

Best
Stephan

Hallo Stephan,
hast du von dort eine Antwort bekommen und wie ist die ausgefallen?

Liebe Grüße,
Wolfgang

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 07:40
#34 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

Hallo Wolfgang,

es hieß, das sei bei serienmäßigen Concertos nicht so einfach möglich und mit hohem Aufwand (=Kosten) verbunden.
Nur für Custom-Made Orgeln sei das relativ problemlos möglich.

Aufgrund des Verhältnisses von Aufwand/Kosten zu einem wohl nur minimalen bis akustisch kaum wahrnehmbaren Klangplus wurde mir davon abgeraten.

Habe das dann bislang nicht weiter verfolgt.

VG
Stephan

Gloria Concerto 350 Trend DLX

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 10:19
#35 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

Hallo Stephan,
danke für deine Erfahrung.
Das liest sich hier im Verlauf für mich irgendwie ganz anders als der Händler es darstellt.
Hat der Händler denn Kosten (Aufwand) genannt?

@ Digital Pipes:
Good Morning, Paolo, may I ask wether your viscounts are "custom made" before they are comming to you (now I suppose they are much more than that ).
Which efforts have to be done to add another DSP-card or to alter it?
May I ask what are the real costs for a new 4-DSP-card official sold by Viscount?

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 17:12
#36 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

Hallo Wolfgang,

Ja da habe ich keine Ahnung. Ich habe das Thema nicht weiter forciert, da das bei mir nur ein Nebenschauplatz ist und ich eine großen Teil meiner Freizeit weiter in die Raspberry Sache stecke und ins Spielen an sich...
Hatte auch Viscount mal angeschrieben aber keine Antwort erhalten. Von daher weiß ich zu dem Thema bislang auch nicht mehr als das was ich schon geschrieben habe.

Ich wäre aber prinzipiell interessiert, sollten sich hier noch neue Aspekte auftun.

VG
Stephan

Gloria Concerto 350 Trend DLX

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 19:05
#37 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
ah

Zitat von Untersatz im Beitrag #34
Hallo Wolfgang,

es hieß, das sei bei serienmäßigen Concertos nicht so einfach möglich und mit hohem Aufwand (=Kosten) verbunden.
Nur für Custom-Made Orgeln sei das relativ problemlos möglich.

Aufgrund des Verhältnisses von Aufwand/Kosten zu einem wohl nur minimalen bis akustisch kaum wahrnehmbaren Klangplus wurde mir davon abgeraten.

Habe das dann bislang nicht weiter verfolgt.

VG
Stephan

If is assumed that the Concerto are rebadgets Sonus (therefore identical hardware/software), there should be no technical reasons to advise against installing additional dsp boards. My boardss have been installed on my Sonus 40 which is not custom.
So it is likely that the German distributor has different reasons for advising against installation.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 21:43
#38 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
cl

Könnte es sein, das hier bei der "Concerto"-Serie am Klang gespart wurde, indem eine Anzahl der DSP´s dem Sparstift zum Opfer fielen? Der Deutsche Endkunde hat ja keinen Klangvergleich zwischen original bestückter "Sonus" als Serieninstrument und einer "Concerto".

Liebe Grüße vom Clemens

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 22:09 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 27.09.2022 22:10)
#39 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

Möglich, nur verstehe ich dann nicht, warum man dann nicht nachrüsten "darf"?
Allerdings wäre es eine Frage an die Sachkundigen, ob die Serienbestückung tatsächlich abweicht. Das kann ich mir nun nicht wirklich vorstellen.

Kennt jemand die Serienbestückung einer Sonus 70/Concerto 354?

Liebe Grüße,
Wolfgang

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.09.2022 22:19
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#40 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

There is no difference between the standard Sonus series and the Gloria Concerto. Just the label.

All my three instruments are custom built but this has nothing to do with the DSP boards which are the same for custom and no custom instruments (as long as there are no special features such as extra octave couplers or stops). In fact, my organs received the extra DSP boards at a later stage.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.09.2022 17:12 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 28.09.2022 18:42)
#41 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
Mi
Michal ( gelöscht )

DigitalPipes is (again) absolutely right. Additional DSPs definitely can be added at any time at any Physis Organ (as long as not all available slots are already used with 4-DSP-boards). It took me only half a minute to change the DSPs. Board out - board in (if not all slots are yet occupied, it's just board in - even easier), that's it.

However, if possible, I recommend to check out the difference in sound (if done so without any firmware modification) before ordering at possible high costs at German dealers - it is not much more expensive to enhance the organ to a custom made version by adding new features (couplers or whatever - and last but not least new personal Styles 1-4 and having 4 additional styles available just right at your fingertips) together with the new DSPs from Viscount (if the German dealer cooperates - if not, well, we are living in an globalized economy, don't we? - however first check out Thomann - talk with them or visit them personally - I can't imagine that there is anything that they can't realize - I ordered all my instruments there and I'm not an easy to handle customer. Well at least talking Unico as you know).
If everything fails - I have some DSPs laying around in my basement - somewhere. I might sell them for ... extremely expensive :-) :-) just joking, these boards are not even worth to clean up my basement in order to find them.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.10.2022 07:46
#42 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module

So wie ich es nach einigem Nachfragen erfahren habe, scheint das Thema zu sein, dass die CE-Zertifizierungen der einzelnen Modelle durch den Hersteller mit einer bestimmten Anzahl und Ausführung der DSP-Module erfolgt.
Tauscht man eine Karte gegen ein Modell mit einer anderen Ausführung oder steckt man eine Karte zusätzlich, so befürchtet der Hersteller oder der Importeur dadurch das CE-Kennzeichen zu verlieren.
Wird nur eine Karte im Bestellprozess anders geordert, so wird diese einzelne DO dadurch zur "Custom-Made" und hat kein Thema mehr mit CE...
Im Bestellprozess kann man sowohl die Anzahl als auch die Type (2- oder 4-) der Karten, mit etwas Nachdruck, zu sehr übersichtlichen Preisen anpassen.
Später scheint der Hersteller wegen der CE-Kennzeichnung nichts mehr ändern zu wollen; wobei das dann auch nicht dazu passt, dass er bei nachträglicher Implementierung der Querkoppeln trotzdem Änderungen am elektrischen Design vornimmt.
Da scheint es für die Nachrüstung nur den Weg über Händler zu geben, die dieselben Modelle mit anderem Badge anbieten.
By the way, sind die Karten in den aktuellen Ahlborn-Varianten die gleichen wie in Sonus/Concerto?

Liebe Grüße,
Wolfgang

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.10.2022 12:20
#43 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
Mi
Michal ( gelöscht )

Na zum Glück hast Du bezüglich dieser lächerlichen Ausrede selbst deine Zweifel.
Vielleicht ist es aber auch diskriminierend wenn nach dem Upgrade dann vielleicht mehr männliche Chips als weibliche Tasten in „das“ Orgel sind.
Deutschland - yes we can!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.10.2022 12:26
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#44 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

Zitat von Michal im Beitrag #43
Na zum Glück hast Du bezüglich dieser lächerlichen Ausrede selbst deine Zweifel.

The perfect explanation you would expect from a frog (dealer) boiling in the water.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.10.2022 17:40
#45 RE: Viscount Physis DSP Module
tr

Zitat von Brabanter im Beitrag #42
Tauscht man eine Karte gegen ein Modell mit einer anderen Ausführung oder steckt man eine Karte zusätzlich, so befürchtet der Hersteller oder der Importeur dadurch das CE-Kennzeichen zu verlieren.

CE ist eigentlich ziemlich entspannt, da es sich hier um eine Eigenerklärung des Herstellers (natürlich gibt es Dienstleister, die den Prozess begleiten und beraten) handelt und er ggf. erforderliche Messungen selbst durchführen kann. Üblicherweise nimmt man z.B. für EMV-Messungen dabei den möglichen Maximalausbau, dann sind grob gesprochen alle kleineren Ausbaustufen mit abgedeckt. Es ist auch so, dass man nur im "Beschwerdefall" in der Lage sein muss, die entsprechenden Dokumente vorzuweisen.
Interessant wird es bei der Zertifizierung für den nordamerikanischen Markt, landläufig "UL" - hier ist man tatsächlich auf zertifizierte Testinstitute (sogenannte NRTL = Nationally Recognized Test Laboratory, wie z.B. UL, CSA, TÜV) angewiesen und die lassen sich jede Variante oder Option, die in die Zertifizierung aufgenommen wird, gut bezahlen.

Viele Grüße
Trompetendulzian

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!