First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC

• Seite 1 von 4
25.04.2022 22:10
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#1 First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

Dear friends,

I finally managed to set the instrument up (voicing and hardware) and recorded something longer than 7 seconds I though I would shoot a video but things did not work out as I expected so I preferred to produce a good audio example.

The hardware that I use to process the sound of the organ is:

RME M-32 PRO AD, receives 20 channels from the Concerto 355cc and converts the analogue signal into a digital one. The digital signal is sent through a MADI cable into the RME Madiface XT, connected to a Mac Studio with M1 MAX, where the sound is processed in the reverb engine. 21 reverb instances are at work (20 channels + room noise) which are furtherly processed by an algorithmic reverb to glue all the 20 channels together (and here the details stop because of corporate secrecy )

The organ, as anticipated in another thread, is virtually positioned on the organ gallery as per the organ of St. Clotilde, with the Great division at the sides of the case, the positive at the center, the swell behind the positive in a higher position and the pedal behind the great on both sides. However, the virtual room chosen for the reverb is not St. Clotilde, and the organ does not sound like that specific Cavaillé Coll.

The voicing has been based mainly on the Cavaillé Coll or St. Etienne in Caen, but I did some adjustments here and there to suit my personal taste and to make things work properly (it is not enough to reproduce all the individual stops faithfully as the Tutti might turn out a disaster ).

I attach here a horrible MP3 file and, for those who wish a high-res file, you can download it here:

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/069W2...L_final_release

I hope you like it and look forward to hearing your opinion!

Dateianhänge
  • C_L_final_release.mp3

Aufgrund eingeschränkter Benutzerrechte werden nur die Namen der Dateianhänge angezeigt Jetzt anmelden!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
25.04.2022 22:30
#2 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
cl

Hallo Paolo,
es klingt beeindruckend. Vielen Dank!

Liebe Grüße vom Clemens

Antworten

Beitrag melden
25.04.2022 22:42
#3 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Intonationsmeister

Hallo Paolo,
Erstmal Dankeschön für die schönen Aufnahmen. Ich habe mir beide angehört. Die Akustik ist schon mal phänomenal gut 👍. Ich gehe davon aus das die wav. Datei deinem original näher kommen als die mp3. Versuche die Orgel etwas weicher zu machen, speziell die Streicher und Schwebungen. Es ergibt sich folgendes Phänomen, die mp3. Datei ist durch die Komprimierung und das Fehlen sehr hoher Frequenzspitzen näher bei Cavaille Coll als die wav. Datei. Probiere einfach mal mit dem externen Equalizer die hohen Frequenzen zu reduzieren.

LG
Frank

Gloria Concerto 355cc

Antworten

Beitrag melden
25.04.2022 23:00 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 25.04.2022 23:00)
#4 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Zitat von clemens-cgn im Beitrag #2
Hallo Paolo,
es klingt beeindruckend. Vielen Dank!

Thanks very much!

Zitat von SaintSernin im Beitrag #3
Hallo Paolo,
Erstmal Dankeschön für die schönen Aufnahmen. Ich habe mir beide angehört. Die Akustik ist schon mal phänomenal gut 👍. Ich gehe davon aus das die wav. Datei deinem original näher kommen als die mp3. Versuche die Orgel etwas weicher zu machen, speziell die Streicher und Schwebungen. Es ergibt sich folgendes Phänomen, die mp3. Datei ist durch die Komprimierung und das Fehlen sehr hoher Frequenzspitzen näher bei Cavaille Coll als die wav. Datei. Probiere einfach mal mit dem externen Equalizer die hohen Frequenzen zu reduzieren.

Hi Frank! Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you say. I have 5 headphones and the audio file sounds very different with each of them. Only with two of them, the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audio Technica ATH-R70x the organ sounds correct (they are nearly linear). This is because all speakers and headphones have different frequency response curves and, very often, they tend to enhance high frequencies. When mixing and bouncing, no matter the speakers or headphones I use, I correct their frequency response with either DIRAC Live or Sound ID Reference. If I correct the frequency response to match the equipment I am using, by reducing the high frequencies, for example, I might produce something really dull for another equipment. But I understand very well your concern, when I listen to this file with the BOSE I use when travelling, it screams...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 09:30
#5 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC

Eine sehr gelungene, "große" Akustik, in der Tat. Der schwebende Streicherklang kommt der ACC in Sacré-Cœur sehr nahe. Auch die Fernwirkung des geschlossenen Schwellkastens kingt sehr überzeugend. Ebenso die wachsende Präsenz der Plena beim Zuziehen von Registern. Beim "normalen" Sampling tritt leider oft der gegenteilige Effekt auf. Mit den größeren Speicherkapazitäten neuer Sampling-Orgeln gehört das aber zum Glück der Vergangenheit an.

LG
Michael

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 11:29
#6 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Zitat von Wichernkantor im Beitrag #5
Eine sehr gelungene, "große" Akustik, in der Tat. Der schwebende Streicherklang kommt der ACC in Sacré-Cœur sehr nahe. Auch die Fernwirkung des geschlossenen Schwellkastens kingt sehr überzeugend. Ebenso die wachsende Präsenz der Plena beim Zuziehen von Registern. Beim "normalen" Sampling tritt leider oft der gegenteilige Effekt auf. Mit den größeren Speicherkapazitäten neuer Sampling-Orgeln gehört das aber zum Glück der Vergangenheit an.

LG
Michael

Thanks Michael! Despite the very informative - and formative - experience of voicing a digital instrument according to an organbuilding style of the past, I still think that the greatest advantage and value of Physis is to build an organ that perfectly fits one’s personal needs. I am sure it will not take long before my new organ turns into a real creature of mine (something is already there). As a matter of fact, the time and efforts required to approximate an existing organ with Physis are way too big, and the whole process is unattractive unless one likes to push the boundaries of technology. I still think and hear, however, that when it comes to fortissimo combinations and TUTTI, Physis is still unsurpassed. Everything comes together in an organic way. This is something that I have not experienced even with the best sample sets of Hauptwerk that is, currently, the platform that uses the biggest samples available.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 11:57
#7 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC

Ja, da kann ich Dir in allen Punkten nur beipflichten. Die Möglichkeiten von Physis sind nach wie vor nicht komplett ausgeschöpft. Ich bin sehr gespannt, was das neue Physis da noch besser machen will und kann ...

LG
Michael

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 12:09
#8 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Zitat von Wichernkantor im Beitrag #7
Ja, da kann ich Dir in allen Punkten nur beipflichten. Die Möglichkeiten von Physis sind nach wie vor nicht komplett ausgeschöpft. Ich bin sehr gespannt, was das neue Physis da noch besser machen will und kann ...

LG
Michael

We are all very curious about the new physis. And I hope our expectations are not too high, otherwise the potential disappointment could be disastrous!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 14:07
#9 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Intonationsmeister

Eine exakte Kopie eines original Instrument ist mit unseren Mitteln noch nicht möglich, es wird immer nur eine Annäherung bleiben. Zurzeit schafft das nur Viscount im Klanglabor. Da ich ja auch Hauptwerk habe sehe ich das mit größeren Registrierungen genau wie du. Da ist Physis das Maß der Dinge. Hauptwerk wirkt da schnell unangenehm und steril.

LG
Frank

Gloria Concerto 355cc

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 15:49
#10 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC

Beeindruckend.

Liebe Grüsse, Mike

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 16:17
#11 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Zitat von SaintSernin im Beitrag #9
Eine exakte Kopie eines original Instrument ist mit unseren Mitteln noch nicht möglich, es wird immer nur eine Annäherung bleiben. Zurzeit schafft das nur Viscount im Klanglabor. Da ich ja auch Hauptwerk habe sehe ich das mit größeren Registrierungen genau wie du. Da ist Physis das Maß der Dinge. Hauptwerk wirkt da schnell unangenehm und steril.

yes, it's a pity that the editor does not allow to build the stops from scratch, this would make things easier (well, for the freaky nerds like us probably, a nightmare for a regular customer )

And yes, the excitement of Hauptwer wears off quickly, I have experienced it personally. Got a great custom-made console from Content, back in the days (2008?), super pc, sample sets and then... let the organ switched off for 10 years till when I sold the console to a guy in Zurich because I was moving to the south of Switzerland. This does not happen now with my physis instruments, and there must be a reason.

Let's see if, with the new physis, there will be also a new editor back-compatible with the existing physis but with new and extended editing possibilities. In a way, it would be commercially very poor, and wrong, to come up with something extraordinarily performing, and let down the customers who bought their instruments till that moment. However, in my nearly 30 years in business, I have seen many stupid things...

Zitat von Choralbass im Beitrag #10
Beeindruckend.

Liebe Grüsse, Mike

thanks! There is still a lot of room for improvement!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 17:13
#12 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Administrator

Ich komme heute erst zum Anhören und habe mich für die wav-Datei und meine Kopfhörer (anstelle des jämmerlichen PC-Lautsprechers) entschieden. Es klingt großartig - was ich von Physis über Kopfhörer sonst wirklich nicht sagen kann.

Exakte Kopien müssen m.E. nicht das Ziel der Physisarbeit sein, das ist doch eher das Proprium von Hauptwerk. Physis scheint mir dagegen im höchsten Maße geeignet, Orgeln "im Stile von ..." nachzubauen. Da muss nicht jedes Detail der Disposition stimmen - worin auch eine Chance für die unterschiedlich groß angelegten Physisorgeln liegt.

Chapeau, lieber Paolo!

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 18:01
#13 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Thanks very much, Klaus! And since I am stuck in the Business Lounge at Frankfurt Airport (Lufthansa let me down once again, remember the forum meeting in October?) I am taking Frank's remarks very seriously and try to apply some dynamic equalisation. Let's see what comes out!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 18:05 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 26.04.2022 18:07)
#14 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC

Genauso sehe ich das auch, Gemshorn. Mit Physis kann man eine Intonation gut an die Grösse des eigenen Instruments anpassen. Ausserdem ist es sehr vielseitig. Man kann problemlos einige Register verändern und schnell zwischen beiden Varianten hin- und herschalten.

Zum Beispiel habe ich durch einen Expander (Content EXP-220), eine gesampelte Orgel, die ich dank Physis mit einer Aliquoten-Intonation ergänzen kann. Auf andere Weise wäre dies kaum möglich oder aber wenn, dann ziemlich umständlich. Die grundsätzlichen Möglichkeiten bei Physis sind schon enorm.

Liebe Grüsse. Mike

Antworten

Beitrag melden
26.04.2022 19:09 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 26.04.2022 19:10)
#15 RE: First recording on the Green Concerto 355 CC
Di

Zitat von SaintSernin im Beitrag #3
Hallo Paolo,
Erstmal Dankeschön für die schönen Aufnahmen. Ich habe mir beide angehört. Die Akustik ist schon mal phänomenal gut ��. Ich gehe davon aus das die wav. Datei deinem original näher kommen als die mp3. Versuche die Orgel etwas weicher zu machen, speziell die Streicher und Schwebungen. Es ergibt sich folgendes Phänomen, die mp3. Datei ist durch die Komprimierung und das Fehlen sehr hoher Frequenzspitzen näher bei Cavaille Coll als die wav. Datei. Probiere einfach mal mit dem externen Equalizer die hohen Frequenzen zu reduzieren.

@SaintSernin any better now, Frank? Applied a dynamic EQ only on the peaks of the high frequencies, but the soft stops are not affected

Dateianhänge
  • C_L_dynamic_EQ.mp3

Aufgrund eingeschränkter Benutzerrechte werden nur die Namen der Dateianhänge angezeigt Jetzt anmelden!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!