Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!

• Seite 1 von 5
08.11.2022 19:37 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 08.11.2022 19:39)
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#1 Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

There we go, folks! The winner of the the digital technology competition is Audio2 = Johannus Live

Audio 1 is Physis, Viscount Sonus 60

Audio 3 is sampling, Viscount Prestige 80

Audio 4, out of the competition, remains a mystery, for the moment.

First of all, I want to heartily thanks Gianluca (@ahlborn), Andreas (@Ippenstein), and Jeff (@live3TA) for taking part in the competition and being such a great team! Thanks very much!

It has been an exciting (and formative) time for me as I had to find out a common audio processing ground for all the samples, a truly challenging task! I have learned a lot and would like to share now my thoughts. But before intoxicating everyone with my considerations, I share here the original files for you to understand where we started from and how we arrived at the final results.

The same editing (*) has been applied to all the audio samples:

First reverb: LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional plugin replica of the more famous Bricasti M7

Second reverb (only tails): Vienna MIRacle - Algorithmic Reverb Add-On

Audio Spectrum Enhancer: Soundtheory Gulfoss

(*) Johannus received an extra treatment, more later.

It has been very difficult to find a common reverb setup for all, given the very different sonic nature of the audio material. Physis' sample was very clear and pristine, not jammed or saturated at all, and every type of reverb fitted. Same for the Prestige. Johannus' sample, instead was particularly dark and muddy and only one reverb of Seventh Heaven could be used, all the rest was making the whole thing taste like an overcooked risotto. To be honest, even with this "best fitting" reverb, things were not shining... and here comes the little "unfair" trick I applied to Johannus, a massive boost of +6 dB (with an extensive bell) around 4Khz to bring the organ alive, and -3 dB around 120 Hz to reduce the muddiness, otherwise it was feeling like listening to the organ from outside the church. Now, +6 dB implies basically doubling the volume in that area. Although this extra treatment might sound unfair when applied only to Johannus, I decided to leave it there because, when trying to correct the Sonus and the Prestige with equalisation, I could not remove the "unnatural" components that were there, so I could not produce any improvement.

Therefore, if we want to consider the possibility to improve, with external processing the sound out of the box of these instruments, Johannus is definitely the one that allows the most to be achieved. BUT! There is a huge but.

The editing that I applied to the audio samples can be considered as a powerful make-up. It is easier to achieve a good result on a nice face, no doubt. But what if we could physically change the features of the face and improve it even more? Well, with Johannus that is not possible. The samples are set, the output is stereo (c/c#), end of the story. This is not the case for Physis were everything can be set. And the parameters that can be changed can make a huge difference, if used in the correct way.

1 - the voicing: the factory defaults are good for Halloween to scare the children. Gianluca's voicing is very good but he was competing with Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in person, not easy eh! Still, a lot of things can be improved, especially with the high-pitched stops (mutations and mixtures) that can easily introduce unnatural artifacts that can drill through the most powerful TUTTI and screw the ensemble.

2 - the audio routing: Seventh Heaven is a powerful reverb with a lush and rich sound signature. It did a good job even with the stereo output. However, the sound image is static because, like every reverb, it reproduces the sound as if it is all originating in the same spot. This is not what happens in a real organ where the sound is originating in 3D: width, height, depth. In this case the audio routing of Physis allows to achieve a lively and credible reverb, similar to the wet sample sets of Hauptwerk, without the shortcomings of the sampled acoustics. It sounds more natural and consistent. This is the system I use on my three organs.

When the above two features are used in a smart way, the final result is definitely much cleaner and pristine than anything we could achieve with sampling (also because the sound of Physis is truly dry, without the sustained portion of the reverb in the loop).

This last point, about the "dryness" of the raw sound material, can however carry some disadvantages as "dry" can turn out to be "too dry". In this case I found out that applying a pre-reverb, made of only early reflection in a small space (wooden chamber with 0.4 seconds), can enrich the sound in a consistent way, as if the pipes are sounding in a real pipe organ chamber. In this case the chain would be: pre-reverb (early reflections) + main reverb (early and late reflections) + tail reverb (only late reflections with some modulation). I leave here attached an audio file (FinaleMP3) recently recorded on my Concerto 355cc where such a system has been applied to show the final result (and you will forgive, again, my sloppy playing).

Now to the results of the poll. The public poll has definitely been influenced by a cognitive (social) bias, being the answers known to everyone before the vote. I apologise for setting up the poll in the wrong way. However, the votes collected via private messages, have somehow suprised me. For me, the clear - very clear - winner is Audio 2, Johannus. The votes I collected, however, say something else. See the score grid here below. The files have been ranked from 1 to 3, with the first choice having a score of 3, the second a score of 2, and the third a score of 1. This helps to keep things in perspective:

hidden poll results.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

While the audio equipment used can influence, to a certain degree, the perception of the sound, the choices operated by the participants show that there is not a clear preference between Audio 2 and Audio 1, they share somehow 50% of the votes which is a result one might obtain by a random choice. This induced me to reconsider my hearing evaluation and makes me now very interested to understand what induced some people to choose audio 1 over 2 when, for me, there was really no game there.

I wrote too much, let us know your thoughts, comments, opinion and, maybe, ideas for a future contest. At this point, for me, it would be very interesting to take again some samples of Viscount and Johannus but operate them with all the features offered by both instruments. I think that the final result could be even more suprising than the one we have unveiled now, especially for the users of both brands who would like to greatly improve the performance of their instruments.

PS: sorry, I cannot attach the raw audio file before the editing because they are .wav, a file format not supported here :(

Dateianhänge
  • FinaleMP3.mp3

Aufgrund eingeschränkter Benutzerrechte werden nur die Namen der Dateianhänge angezeigt Jetzt anmelden!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 19:55
#2 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Administrator

Danke, Paolo, für die Auswertung und die detailreichen Erklärungen rund um das akustische Make-up, das du angewendet hattest.
Hmmm... Warum eigentlich? It is what it is. Verschönerungen sollten m.E. künftig unterbleiben.

Ich habe auch für Audio 2 gevotet - allerdings erst nach mehrmaligem Hören. Mein ursprünglicher Favorit war Audio 1, jedoch erschien mir Audio 2 im Vergleich dazu doch noch ein Stück brillanter und "more powerful", was sich nun (nach deinen Erklärungen) aber womöglich als trügerisch entpuppt. Mindestens über Kopfhörer (und es sind deren billige) klang Audio 2 bei mir und für mich einfach noch besser als die anderen Kandidaten.

Audio 3 schied für mich sofort aus, im Mixturenbereich kam es zu unschönen, unharmonischen Effekten, welche ich allerdings (auch) von einigen Pfeifenorgeln kenne. Nichtsdestotrotz: Audio 3 war für mich eindeutig das Letztzuplatzierende.

Nun bin ich aber doch überrascht, dass Sampling gewonnen hat, namentlich Johannus LiVE. Das ist zunächst einmal neidlos anzuerkennen und spricht für die Bemühungen von Johannus, dem echten Pfeifenorgelklang zumindest in der LiVE-Serie näher und näher zu kommen.
Meinerseits jedenfalls Gratulation nach Ede!

Danke allen, die sich an der Ermöglichung dieses Wettbewerbs beteiligt und ihn ermöglicht haben.

Ich freue mich schon auf eine "2. Auflage" unter noch strikteren Bedingungen!

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 20:00
#3 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!

Danke für die Auswertung und Organisation!

Interessant!
Ich mochte offenbar das Physis am liebsten, fand aber die ersten beiden Audios schwer abzustufen. So wie die kumulierten Ergebnisse in den PN-Votes es zeigen. Audio 2 fand ich etwas zu dumpf teilweise -- aber lustigerweise hatte ich bei Audio 1 anfangs den Eindruck "das klingt doch johannus-mäßig" (d.h. ich musste an eins der älteren Präsentationsvideos denken).

Wie war es für die anderen, gab es markante Abstände zwischen Audios 1 und 2 für euch?

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 20:07
#4 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
So

Ich interpretierte (ganz subjektiv) die Audios so:
Nr 2: empfand ich am realistischsten, wenn ich mir vorstellte, weit im Raum in einer Kirche die Orgel zu hören. Verschmolzen mit
dem Raum.
Jedoch mag ich das als Spieler auf dem Orgelbock nicht. Zu verklebt. Ich möchte auch den Ansatz der Pfeifen hören. Eine
stärkere Rechts- Links-Oben-Ortung.
Nr 1: Dieses Erlebnis bot mir schon eher Audio 1. Mein Ideal wäre: Die Perspektiven 1 und 2 zu kombinieren.
Nr 3: klang für mich völlig unrealistisch. Ich hätte es als Hauptwerker nie und nimmer (!) als Sampling gedeutet. Höchstens als
schlechtes Set vor vielen Jahren, das sehr ungeeignet - vielleicht zu nah an den Einzelpfeifen - gesampelt wurde, könnte es für
mich durchgehen.

Als Hauptwerker mit aktuellen Sets kann ich verschiedene Perspektiven fast beliebig mischen und mir zum Üben eventuell eine andere Kombination als zum endgültigen Spiel zusammenstellen. Blitzschnell und komfortabel mit Schieberegler. Ob das auch bei obigen Instrumenten geht, weiß nicht nicht.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 20:15 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 08.11.2022 20:17)
#5 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Di

Zitat von Soli Deo gloria im Beitrag #4

Als Hauptwerker mit aktuellen Sets kann ich verschiedene Perspektiven fast beliebig mischen und mir zum Üben eventuell eine andere Kombination als zum endgültigen Spiel zusammenstellen. Blitzschnell und komfortabel mit Schieberegler. Ob das auch bei obigen Instrumenten geht, weiß nicht nicht.

Mixing different perspectives is something that cannot be done - and does not happen - in reality because a listener can only be in one point in space at a given time. Mixing early and late reflections of two or more spots, in the way Hauptwerk does, is an artificial trick that soon reveals all its shortcomings and youtube is full of horrible examples.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 20:24 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 08.11.2022 20:32)
#6 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!

Als Inhaber der Orgel zum Audio 3 bin ich beim Vergleich erschrocken, wie direkt und grell meine Orgel im Vergleich geklungen hatte. Ich selbst hatte mich für Audio 1 entschieden und danach gleich mal an meiner Orgel geschraubt:
Je höher das Register, um so mehr hatte ich in zwei Anläufen es nun in der Lautstärke zurückgenommen, damit die Orgel nicht mehr so schreit. Der Klang ist jetzt auch ganz anders, um einiges voluminöser im Tutti, da die ganzen 8-Füßler nun mehr zum Tragen kommen.
Einerseits lag diese Einstellung an meiner Boxerie, die den Klang nicht so hell wiedergibt, andererseits an meinen Hörgewohnheiten, wobei ich auch sagen muß, daß ich mit Hörproblemen zu kämpfen habe. Jetzt muß ich mich erst mal an den neuen Klang meiner Orgel gewöhnen, die aber nun nicht mehr schreit und die einzelnen Register noch besser zur Geltung kommen. Ich bin gespannt, wenn ich mal wieder Besuch habe, wie die das finden. So hatte ich auch schon Leute hier, die das bisherige Hörerlebnis als "klingt endlich mal wie eine Orgel" erlebt hatten. Bin gespannt, was die sagen, wenn sie das nächste Mal hier sind, ob die Orgel dann besser oder schlechter klingt... so müsste ich am Schluß zwei Intonationen erstellen - einmal für das Musizieren, einmal für das Aufnehmen... *lach*
Nebenbei habe ich heute noch die Mixtur des 2. Manuals gegen eine getauscht, die einerseits etwas tiefer, aber im Verlauf auch gleichmäßiger ist. (Für Clemens: Große Fourniture)

Ich bedanke mich bei den 3 Leuten, die trotz aller Widrigkeiten meiner Orgel den Vorzug gegeben haben.
Leider wollte vorhin die Aufnahme nicht klappen, so daß ich das Klangbild des jetzigen Zustandes noch nicht demonstrieren kann.

Viele Grüße

Andreas

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 20:37
#7 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
li

Another big thanks to Paolo for wrangling this experiment!!!

I wanted to note a couple of items.

1) I used the "Aux out" jack was used for the recording.

2) For the recording, the 3T listening position was set to Organ console, but the sound from the Aux out was the Center (of the building) listening position or between Front and Center: it was hard to figure out exactly using the 3T live and various speakers/headphones with the recording. There is a decided loss in the high frequencies/higher-pitched stops when the listening position is not set to the Organ console. The comparison between technologies would be more effective/helpful if I could have recorded the sound from the Organ console position.

3) This experiment motivated me to dig deeper into the LiVE3T's adjustable parameters AND helped me solve a related problem--the whole thing was a win-win-win! Also, I learned a new midi program!!

I really like the processing Paolo applied to the recording--he's clearly got wicked-good audio engineering skills.

Also, I remain interested in the Physis technology because of the wide range of stop and parameter controls that the 3T doesn't have. For example, among all the Baroque organ sample sets available for the 3T there is not a single Regal to be found and there's no way to edit/voice a faulty speaking pipe on the 3T (there's a Norden Schnitger 4' Octave D just above middle C on on the Ruckpositiv that takes 1/2 second speak--the 8' Gedackt and 4' Octave combination just sounds lame, and I can only use the 4' Octave with combinations that include an 8' Principal or 2' Octave...sorry to digress to complain about such a wonder sample set...)

Much thanks to Andreas @Ippenstein for the midi file and to Gianluca @ahlborn and Andreas @Ippenstein for coordinating on the experiment.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 21:50
avatar  Geigenprinzipal ( gelöscht )
#8 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Ge
Geigenprinzipal ( gelöscht )

Interessant - und für mich nachvollziehbar.
Wir hätten Hauptwerk noch dazu nehmen sollen. Wie wäre die Wahl dann wohl ausgegangen?

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 22:14 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 08.11.2022 22:18)
#9 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Mi
Michal ( gelöscht )

Na das ist ja witzig.
Ich habe nicht für die Orgel mit den meisten Votes gestimmt, sondern für Audio 1.
Ich dachte, dass Audio 2 Physis ist. Aber mir gefiel einfach Audio 1 wesentlich besser. Ich habe noch geschrieben, dass ich vermutlich gegen Physis gestimmt hätte. Aber das habe ich offensichtlich nicht!

Das bedeutet, dass ich nicht befangen war und dass ich ganz offensichtlich die richtige Orgel zuhause stehen habe!

Für mich hatte Audio 2 genau das was ich nicht mag. Klingt zwar im Ganzen sehr realistisch, aber die Durchzeichnung fehlt. Genau das passiert wenn man viele Samples übereinander legt. Aber ich dachte echt das wäre Physis weil es eigentlich sehr orgelauthentisch und lebendig klang und weil auch die meisten dafür gestimmt hatten.

Ich habe also vermeintlich gegen Physis gestimmt, aber meine Ohren waren eindeutig für Physis. Und das bei Stereo über Computer-Lautsprecher.

Bin echt begeistert!

Aber wie gesagt, das ist eben auch Geschmackssache. Weil im ersten Moment, also beim ersten Eindruck war Audio 2 für mich schöner anzuhören. Nur bei genauerer Analyse hatte es für mich gegenüber Audio 1 deutliche Schwächen. Nach MEINEM Geschmack, versteht sich.

Im Übrigen hatte mein Vote die Anzahl der Votes bei Audio 1 von 3 auf 4 erhöht. Ich habe also für Audio 1 bei nur drei bis dato bestehenden Votes gestimmt! Mutig, gell.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
08.11.2022 23:22 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 09.11.2022 01:02)
#10 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
SJL

Lieber Paolo,

Danke für die schnelle und spannende Analyse.

Ich verstehe allerdings nicht, wieso die 2 Umfragen zu ganz unterschiedlichen Bildern gekommen sein sollen:

Die erste Umfrage über "private Nachrichten" führte laut deinem Screenshot zu 13 Votes, davon präferierten 8 die V2 (62%), 3 die V1 (23%) und 2 die V3 (15%). Bei der öffentlichen Umfrage waren es 27 Teilnehmer, davon 18 für V2 (67%), 6 für V1 (22%) und 3 für V3 (11%). Das heißt doch, die Präferenzen sind bei den beiden Erhebungen nicht verschieden, sondern sogar verblüffend ähnlich, nämlich etwa 2/3 für V2 sowie in Summe 1/3 für V1+V3 (dabei V1 klar im Vorteil). Von einem Bias oder einem ganz anderen Ergebnis kann daher (m.E.) nicht gesprochen werden.

VG
Stephan

Antworten

Beitrag melden
09.11.2022 06:15
#11 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Di

Ciao Stephan,

the bias is unavoidable when the results are known before the vote but what makes a big difference for me is the picture emerging from the ranking of the choice vs the choice alone. All private messages came in with some qualitative evaluation, that I did not mention, and people stated their indecisiveness between the audio 1 and 2 even if they finally chose one of the two. Someone even ranked audio 2 as the worst and, therefore, the final score of the private survey returns a winner in a substantiated context. This is what surprised me. For me there was not doubt that audio 2 was the best, but we cannot say the same for the other voters.

Anyway, this “competition” arised from a discussion about which technology can provide the most credible organ sound and, for me, among the files I received, Johannus’ file provided the best performance. Is that the absolute best performance, when taken out of this context? No, and the file I posted with my first post on this thread shows, in my opinion, that more refined results can be achieved. Still, it is a very good result, achieved with little effort, nothing comparable to the amount of time and money I had to invest to get - what I deem to be a better result - with physis.

Finally, I think that sampling a specific instrument is certainly the fastest way to achieve a credible (specific) pipe organ sound. The problem of providing a credible sonic context with reverb remains, as long as only a stereo output is provided. It would be interesting to test the routing system of Physis with sampling technology and see what happens. I will do such a test with Hauptwerk where there is no limitation of channels per division. For this, however, I will need some time because the routing system of Hauptwerk is a labyrinth and maybe I will ask for help in the VPO section of this forum.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
09.11.2022 07:07
#12 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
SJL

Ciao Paolo,

Das "Problem" liegt in der Tat an der unterschiedlichen Auswertung (Ranking vs Liebling). Es ist mathematisch völlig logisch, dass das zu einer anderen Verteilung führen kann und Favoriten ggf. näher zusammenrücken. Diese Infos liefert die öffentliche Survey ja gar nicht. Wenn man aber den gemeinsamen Nenner der beiden Erhebungen herausdestilliert (nämlich was ist die jeweilige erste Wahl), dann
kommt aus beiden Surveys das gleiche Ergebnis. Daher glaube ich auch nicht an einen spürbaren Einfluss eines Bias, selbst wenn es ihn gegeben haben sollte, was natürlich nicht ausgeschlossen werden kann.

VG
Stephan

Antworten

Beitrag melden
09.11.2022 07:28 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 09.11.2022 07:28)
#13 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Di

descriptive statistics can be very misleading when they are not put in context. I think we pay the price of it daily in our normal lives. But this is the topic for another thread, or maybe at dinner during the weekend ;)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
09.11.2022 09:03
#14 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Administrator

Ich kann nur für mich sprechen:
Der ausgeprägte Balken bei Kandidat 2 hat mich meine Bauchentscheidung für Audio 1 überdenken lassen und bewegte mich, die Files mehrmals anzuhören, sodass ich mich zuletzt der Mehrheitsentscheidung, die sich abzeichnete, angeschlossen habe.

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
09.11.2022 09:19
#15 RE: Best digital technology competition: THE WINNER!
Gast
( gelöscht )

Ihr Lieben
wie ich Paolo bereits geschrieben habe gibt es für solche Abstimmungen deutlich bessere Methoden
ich hätte Systemisches Konsensieren vorgeschlagen für welches ein hervorragendes online Tool gibt

www.acceptify.at

leider hatte mich die letzten Tage nun auch Corona nieder geschmissen, daher konnte ich leider gar nichts beitragen...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!