Digital tracker touch

• Seite 1 von 2
20.05.2022 09:12
avatar  DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )
#1 Digital tracker touch
Di
DigitalPipes ( gelöscht )

Dear friends, following the little exchange (well, that was more of a speculation) in the shoutbox about the new Physis, I was particularly fascinated by the wish expressed by @ahlborn to have a true tracker touch response on a digital organ. I would like to know how many of you cherish such a feature and the reasons for it. And maybe Ahlborn can elaborate on his wish here ;)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 10:13
#2 RE: Digital tracker touch

Das wäre wohl ein typisches "nice to have", nachdem alle anderen Probleme der Klanggenerierung zur allerhöchsten Zufriedenheit geregelt sind.
Einer meiner Freunde ist als Orgelbauer spezialisiert auf Spieltisch-Elektronik und verbaut unter anderem elektrische Proportionaltrakturen, die den Anschlag der Taste am Ventil exakt nachbilden - also genau das tun, was wir von elektrischen Trakturen immer gefordert haben. Die Kosten für eine Zweimanualige liegen bei rund 20 T€. D.h. beim Verzicht auf eine mechanische Traktur dürfte der Einbau Proportionaltraktur kostenneutral sein, evtl. sogar etwas kostengünstiger als Mechanik. Mein Freund sagte mir, dass das ganz selten nachgefragt werde. Er hat dieses System in den vergangenen Jahren lediglich bei einigen Großorgelprojekten in die elektrischen Zweitspieltisch eingebaut.
Also scheint das unter den Wünschen der Organisten nicht so weit vorn zu rangieren.

LG
Michael

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 10:48
#3 RE: Digital tracker touch

Ich glaube in Bezug auf Physis 2.0 beibt uns der Schnabel erts mal noch trocken.
Viscount hatte vor etwas über 2 Monaten eine Neuerung in Bezuf auf die Legend Orgeln angekündigt, Jetzt rechtzeitig zur Messe scheint die Katze aus dem Sacke zu sein: eine 8aus meiner Sicht revolutionäre) Neuerung in Bezug auf den Anschlag der Klaviaturen der Legend Orgeln.

Sicher, dieses System könnte auch bei den Digital-Orgeln zum Einsatz kommen, die Frage ist halt nur, ob der Markt und die Nachfrage eine derartige Neuerung/Invesrtition rechtfertigt.

Ich würde so einen erweiterten Tracker Touch zwar sehr begrüßen und herbeisehnen, das würde meine Anschlagkultur sehr kultivieren und das Simulieren eines differnzierten Öffnen und Schließen der Ventile ermöglichen.
Doch mal ganz ehrlich: bei welchem Orgel-Typus ist das in Praxis hörbar? Wohl eher nur bei Kleinorgeln, und da auch nur, wenn der Spieler/Hörer recht nahe an den Pfeifen sitzt. Kommt der Raum hinzu, reduziert sich die Wahrnehmbarkeit doch erheblich. Und für die Simulation elektrischer und pneumatischer Spieltrakturen ist dieses Feature eher weniger relevant. Die Auswirkung von Barker-Systemen auf das Öffnen/Schließen der Pfeifen kann ich leider nicht beurteilen, da ich bewusst solch ein System noch nicht kennenlernen durfte.

Mit herzlichem Gruß

Flauten

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 13:04
#4 RE: Digital tracker touch
Di

Zitat von Wichernkantor im Beitrag #2
Das wäre wohl ein typisches "nice to have", nachdem alle anderen Probleme der Klanggenerierung zur allerhöchsten Zufriedenheit geregelt sind.l

Totally agree, voicing and room simulation should be the main focus.

Einer meiner Freunde ist als Orgelbauer spezialisiert auf Spieltisch-Elektronik und verbaut unter anderem elektrische Proportionaltrakturen, die den Anschlag der Taste am Ventil exakt nachbilden - also genau das tun, was wir von elektrischen Trakturen immer gefordert haben. Die Kosten für eine Zweimanualige liegen bei rund 20 T€. D.h. beim Verzicht auf eine mechanische Traktur dürfte der Einbau Proportionaltraktur kostenneutral sein, evtl. sogar etwas kostengünstiger als Mechanik. Mein Freund sagte mir, dass das ganz selten nachgefragt werde. Er hat dieses System in den vergangenen Jahren lediglich bei einigen Großorgelprojekten in die elektrischen Zweitspieltisch eingebaut.
Also scheint das unter den Wünschen der Organisten nicht so weit vorn zu rangieren.

I am not sure that the issue relates to whether the organist are interested in such a system rather its real application and benefit. Syncordia before and Eltec after have produced such a system but the organs equipped with it are very few. This is because if someone wants a tracker organ, with the possibility to control the speech of the pipe, a real tracker action should be used, at least for consistency reasons. To me, the proportional electric action sound like the automatic gear on a car, with the buttons to change the speeds.

Zitat von Flauten im Beitrag #3

Doch mal ganz ehrlich: bei welchem Orgel-Typus ist das in Praxis hörbar? Wohl eher nur bei Kleinorgeln, und da auch nur, wenn der Spieler/Hörer recht nahe an den Pfeifen sitzt. Kommt der Raum hinzu, reduziert sich die Wahrnehmbarkeit doch erheblich.

Yes, this is the real issue. To be able to truly control the speech of the pipes one needs a small instrument, with rather low pressures, small windchest and pallets. That's not all. The type of tracker action greatly influences the control: the direct action of a box organ is certainly the best, without roller board. Then comes the suspended tracker action and then the action with levers. The higher the number of moving parts involved, the more "elastic" the mechanism becomes making the touch less and less precise and controllable. If we then increase the number of stops, air pressure, windchest and pallet size, the possibility to control the touch remains just a nice idea. I recently watched a video on youtube about a Rieger organ built in the US, in the style of early Cavaillé-Coll, with the organist saying that tracker action was a "must have" from the very beginning of the project (but with electric couplers :D). Console detatched from the instrument and placed at a good distance with trackers as long as 10/15 metres. Good luck with controlling the pipe speech.

Zitat von Flauten im Beitrag #3
Die Auswirkung von Barker-Systemen auf das Öffnen/Schließen der Pfeifen kann ich leider nicht beurteilen, da ich bewusst solch ein System noch nicht kennenlernen durfte.

The Barker machine is the slow, noisy version of the electro-pneumatic one. No connection with the player, whatsoever.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 13:20
#5 RE: Digital tracker touch

... verbaut unter anderem elektrische Proportionaltrakturen, die den Anschlag der Taste am Ventil exakt nachbilden - also genau das tun, was wir von elektrischen Trakturen immer gefordert haben. Die Kosten für eine Zweimanualige liegen bei rund 20 T€.

Und wenn man an die Elektronische ein echtes kleines Gebläse und eine echte schmale Windlade mit kleinen toten Kanzellen dran bauen würde, die die originale Haptik liefern? -- dann muss nichts simuliert werden.. Und wenn sowas in Serie produziert würde, kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass es soo teuer wäre. Aber dazu muss ich sagen, dass ich keine Ahnung habe, was ein Orgelbauer für diese Teile/Arbeiten in Originalgröße berechnet -- und ob er das überhaupt tut, oder nur sagt, das fertige Instrument kostet viereinhalb Millionen plus Steuer..

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 14:22
#6 RE: Digital tracker touch
PM
PM

Zitat von DigitalPipes im Beitrag #1
I would like to know how many of you cherish such a feature and the reasons for it.

Hi Paolo,
For me the current standard manuals are already rather good. Nevertheless, when a new Physis is coming, I.....
1. seriously consider buying it, and....
2. seriously will consider wooden keys, be it AWK or Fatar or UHT. Mainly for aesthetic reasons.

But both depend on the price/quality relation. That is, the improved playing and hearing experience must match the price I have to pay for it.
And, the new Physis and/or new manuals have to come in a nice cabinet with a good internal sound system (I have very litte place/room for external speakers).

Kind regard, PM

„Bach ist Anfang und Ende aller Musik, auf ihm ruht und fuszt jeder wahre Fortschritt“  - Max Reger

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 16:07
#7 RE: Digital tracker touch
Administrator

Ich verstehe noch nicht, was genau das im Eingangsposting erwähnte Feature leisten soll.
Vielleicht kann mir das jemand von euch in einfachen Worten erklären?

Sicher, jede Verbesserung ist herzlich willkommen.
Hätte ich aber einen Wunsch frei, so läge meine Priorität immer noch auf weiteren Verbesserungen des Physisklangs. Erst neulich kam ich wieder zu der ernüchternden Erkenntnis, dass Prinzipale spätestens ab dem 4' in Physis noch deutlich "künstlicher" klingen als im Samplingbereich. Gewiss, es gibt in der Bibliothek der Schattenregister eine große Auswahl - das ist wunderbar. Aber die Ansprache des Tons und der damit verbundene "Chiff" (Roland/Rogers-Terminologie) kommt jenseits von c'' einfach nicht mehr zum Tragen... Bei den Zweifüßern ist es noch schlimmer. An den Mixturen wurde m.E. am meisten gefeilt. Aber in den Fußtonlagen darunter ist immer noch Luft nach oben, was die Authentizität des Klanges betrifft.
Man verstehe mich richtig: Ich bin bekennender Physis-Fan! Aber ich erkenne auch die Grenzen, denen diese Technologie immer noch unterliegt.
Somit: Tracker Touch Response? Gerne. Aber anderes wäre mir wichtiger.

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 16:13
#8 RE: Digital tracker touch
Di

The feature is supposed to reproduce (we should say mimic) the variations on the attack and release sound of a pipe according to how the key is pressed. So, for example, when a key is pressed quickly, more chiff should be audible (in flue pipes) in the attack portion of the sound envelope, compared to when it is pressed slowly. Similarly, a key released quickly will create turbulence in the air column compared to when it is released slowly. Hope this makes sense

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 16:18
#9 RE: Digital tracker touch
Administrator

Ich dachte, das gibt es bei Physis bereits?
Worin unterscheidet es sich vom (einstellbaren) Tracker Touch an meiner Concerto?

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 16:37
#10 RE: Digital tracker touch
Di

the existing function does it to a very limited extent

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 17:33
#11 RE: Digital tracker touch
SJL

Ich würde dafür kein Geld ausgeben. Lieber ein neues Sample-Set oder Noten kaufen...

Da scheint mir der Benefit eher im Metaphysischen zu liegen, als das es eine echte praktische Relevanz hätte.

VG
Stephan

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 17:42 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 20.05.2022 17:45)
#12 RE: Digital tracker touch
ah

Currently, the tracker touch only measures the keyboard velocity, and this measurement occurs only when the second contact is pressed, i.e. from half key dip onwards.
Based on this measurement, the system calculates the correct chiff to match the detected speed.

The one in the Legend video, on the other hand, has a continuous control of the position of the key, regardless of the speed (it could be an optical detection system, or perhaps with a Hall sensor): with this system it would be theoretically possible to reproduce what happens with a tracker organ.
If the key is pressed only 1mm (this is an example), only a continuous hiss will come out of the pipe, and the sound will form correctly when the key is fully pressed.
If Viscount will implement a system similar to Physis 2.0, it would mean to me that they have managed to do something that no other company has ever implemented in such a refined way: to simulate a tracker organ down to the smallest detail.
For such a function (if implemented well) I would immediately sell my Sonus 40 and buy the new model.
It is true that this effect fades on a real very large tracker organ, but it is also true that this chiff control is still present and manageable EVEN in a large tracker organ, and the difference between a large tracker organ and a large electric organ is still quite sensitive.

The current Physis 1.0 then does not manage the "release" dynamically, but only the chiff (and not for all stops, reeds and mixtures are excluded). Furthermore, the pedal board is not dynamic, so the chiff of these stops is calculated randomly.

However, these ideasremains only speculation, because in reality this button control is available on the Legend, and we do not know if it will be implemented in the new Physis 2.0...

I would like the new Physis to have all the parameters adjustable note by note.
I would also like there to be additional "noises" such as the noise of the tracker touch (maybe select from several: barker lever noise, or tracker action noise) to add to the sound of the registers, for even greater realism; I think this feature could also be implemented in the current Physis, but probably there have been no requests from the market.

It would also be desirable to have a greater tonal variation between swell divisions when closing and opening, with the possibility of editing the various "tone filters" of the swell box for each stop.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 18:19
#13 RE: Digital tracker touch
Di

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #12

For such a function (if implemented well) I would immediately sell my Sonus 40 and buy the new model.
It is true that this effect fades on a real very large tracker organ, but it is also true that this chiff control is still present and manageable EVEN in a large tracker organ, and the difference between a large tracker organ and a large electric organ is still quite sensitive.

I agree that the chiff is present, but it is not entirely controllable. If we speak of a large tracker instruments with a division placed over the head of the organist, such as a brustwerk, I agree that the control is there. When the tracker length increases, the control is reduced. If you add two levers (due rimandi), e.g. for a rückpositiv, things get increasingly "gummy". Add a Swell placed behind the hautpwerk, at the level of the oberwerk and bye bye baby. It also depends on what kind of instruments we are talking, voicing-wise. If the instrument has a romantic imprinting, there is so much nicking on the languid of the pipe to kill the harmonics that there is simply no chiff to control...

But a lovely positivo napoletano will serve the purpose very well, and will also fit nicely in the living room

I would like the new Physis to have all the parameters adjustable note by note.

yes, that's a very good thing. And if they provide also the tools to decide the scaling and the cut-up, they can put me directly on the buying list. And, also very important, to be able to configure the mixtures rank by rank.

I would also like there to be additional "noises" such as the noise of the tracker touch (maybe select from several: barker lever noise, or tracker action noise) to add to the sound of the registers, for even greater realism;

yes, why not? Everything helps, and I would add some room noise

It would also be desirable to have a greater tonal variation between swell divisions when closing and opening, with the possibility of editing the various "tone filters" of the swell box for each stop.

Yep, very good too! Did anyone at Viscount ever collected all this feedback? I would love to receive such precise feedback from my customers...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 19:10
#14 RE: Digital tracker touch
ah

Sure, and there are also organs with a longer link and more levers, and it is clear that in these instruments the control is certainly more difficult (but not impossible).

But now, absurdly, let's think what could happen if Viscount also patented a system that allows the keyboards to be weighed down when activating the couplers (it would not be so difficult to insert electromagnetic bars beyond the pivot of the keys on AWK keyboards, and when activated would produce an additional resistance to pressing the key...).

Now think of a similar system, and in addition the continuous key position control system that is on the Legend...

No other digital system currently on the market would be able to simulate a ANY organ touch (tubular-pneumatic, Barker, tracker, ecc.) so well! You could vary the resistance of the keys digitally, and assign to each keyboard the weight configured according to the programmed style.
You could imitate the feel of a Recit tracker action and a Grand'orgue with Barker on a Cavaille Coll, and also very well imitate a great baroque organ, with all the differences in weight between the various keyboards, simply by changing style... and all accompanied by a sound generation that is able to generate all the nuances of attack.
In my opinion it would be a revolution in the field of digital organs, no other technology would come close.
For such a system I would certainly sell my Sonus 40 (which is configured as a baroque organ), and I would still keep the Sonus 60, which still satisfies me very much as an "electric action" organ.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
20.05.2022 20:23
#15 RE: Digital tracker touch
Di

Capperi! If they really manage to do so, not only they will sell me another instrument, they will have all my respect and admiration.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!