My new Cantorum Duo Plus

• Seite 1 von 2
27.03.2024 15:33 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 27.03.2024 15:38)
#1 My new Cantorum Duo Plus
ah

Dear friends,
after selling my "sampled" Cantorum Duo, I couldn't resist purchasing the new Duo Plus.
It's another world.
The voicing possibilities far exceed the limited possibilities of the old Duo; I believe there is no other organ that offers these features for so little money.
Now, the old Duo certainly had good samples, very refined and relatively long, but the very limited voicing made this instrument "closed".
The new Duo Plus is in another category.
Even though the voice library is currently very limited compared to Physis 1.0, with the editor it is possible to modify the various pipe sets as desired.
The factory voicing is quite "standard"; many stops are simply unrealistic and I worked for a few hours to make them more acceptable (you can download the txt and .all files of the three pipe sets).
The interior is still very tidy as in the old Duo. The power supplies and amplifier are the same as the previous version, and therefore the left side appears almost identical to the previous version.
On the right side is the Physis plus motherboard. Quality components (Rubycon and also Panasonic capacitors I thought I saw, but please replace the two electrolytic capacitors of the tweeters, in the amp board, with MKP! I replaced them myself).
As I suspected this motherboard is not the same as the one found in larger models.
There are non-soldered connectors that are probably used in the consolle versions.
My suspicion is that this motherboard will be used for both the Cantorum versions (the Trio will also soon be in the Physis Plus version) and the consolle versions (most likely the cheap Domus series).
The Opera and Maestro models will likely be equipped with the advanced motherboard with multiple DSP modules, similar (visually) to the Physis 1.
However, on this motherboard is mounted a CPU board, a DSP board (with 2 DSPs, always Shark by Analog Devices, but obviously superior models), and an orchestral board (again sampled as Physis 1; I expected to find the Zimbelstern, but there is not..), this three boards are mounted orizzontally.
The backup battery for the internal clock is no longer there, and is replaced by a supercapacitor (which has a lifespan of many years).
The quality of the sound generation is VERY VERY good, but personally I think that Physis 1 is not yet surpassed by Physis Plus. We will see with the next updates.
By the way, they told me that, in addition to programming new voices, there will also be a "porting" of Physis 1 voices to the new Physis Plus platform. So I think it's only a matter of time before we have a huge amount of voices available . However, it is not yet known how these items will be accessed, or whether they will be available with new updates, or whether it will be possible to download them from a page on the Viscount website, or by requesting them directly from Viscount (an impractical solution).
The editor and voicing functions seem the same as the larger models, except for the various noise trackers, which are not present in the Duo Plus.
Overall I really liked this Duo Plus, and of course I look forward to future updates..
I am forwarding you the various txt files and .all, as well as three stops of sesquialtera to insert in the Kornett tab (the factory Kornetts are really very ugly).
I have no idea whether the .all files also load the new voices or automatically move the voices from one qtab to another (with Physis 1 it had to be done manually), so use the txt file to know exactly the voice IDs used.

Dateianhänge
  • Sesquialtera.zip
  • duoplus.zip

Aufgrund eingeschränkter Benutzerrechte werden nur die Namen der Dateianhänge angezeigt Jetzt anmelden!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 15:58 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 27.03.2024 16:00)
#2 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
ah

Left side and right side: everything very clean and tidy.

The new stop tabs and pistons are also very nice and comfortable!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 16:40
#3 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
cl

Hallo Ahlborn,
sei herzlich bedankt.
Die Sesquialtera - Zipdatei: Ist die bereits für Physis+ oder noch für Physis 1?

Liebe Grüße vom Clemens

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 17:47 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 27.03.2024 17:47)
#4 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
tr

Zitat von clemens-cgn im Beitrag #3

Die Sesquialtera - Zipdatei: Ist die bereits für Physis+ oder noch für Physis 1?

Die Dateien in der ZIP-Datei enden auf .vcp statt .vce - die sind für die neue Plattform.

Viele Grüße
Trompetendulzian

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 18:37
#5 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
ah

Yes, Sesquialtera stops are for Physis Plus!

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 21:48
#6 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
Administrator

Danke auch meinerseits für die neuen Register.
Bedeutet das, dass bei den Keyboards und somit wohl auch bei der Domus mehr als nur 3 Schattenregister in der Orgel gespeichert werden können?

Ich verkaufe meine Orgel, eine Gloria Concerto 234 Trend DLX. Bei Interesse bitte PN oder Mail.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 22:28
#7 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
ah

Yes, in some tabs I also counted 7/8 alternative voices. I suspect many more can be uploaded when they become available.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 22:36
#8 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
tr

Schön finde ich, dass das Board eine (in diesem Fall unbestückte) Ethernet-Schnittstelle hat. DigitalPipes hatte ja vor einem guten Jahr über das in Entwicklung befindliche DANTE-Interface berichtet.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
27.03.2024 22:59
#9 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
cl

.... und was kann man denn nun mit DANTE machen. Ich bin schlicht zu beschränkt, es zu begreifen....

Liebe Grüße vom Clemens

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 09:02
#10 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus

Lieber Gianluca,

ganz herzlichen Dank für diesen ausführlichen, informativen und fundierten Bericht, sowei das Teilen Deiner Arbeit samt Verbesserungen!

Deiner Beurteilung der klanglichen Möglichkeiten der neuen Cantorum kann ich vollumfänglich zustimmen.
Ich hatte vor kurzem die Möglichkeit die beiden neuen Johannus-Modelle, die neuen Optimus-Modelle und das Cantorum zu testen, und mein absoluter und klarer Favourit war die CantorumDuo+! Das ist - bezogen auf die "alte" Cantorum und den Klang - ein wahrer Quantensprung.
"Meine" Concerto würde dagegen noch lange nicht gegen eine Optimus eintauschen, Physis+ steckt mir da noch zu sehr in den Kinderschuhen, und mit der vorgefunden internen Abstrahlung konnte diese Modelle nicht so recht überzeugen.
DIe Registerschalter begeistern mich dagegen nicht so, da ziehe ich erstens das "klassische" Design vor (Über Geschmack kann man natürlich (nicht) streiten), und zweitens lassen sich hier die Registerplättchen wohl nicht so komfortabel wechseln, wie bisher.
Weitere Mankos bei der CantorumDuo+ sind aus meiner Sicht das zwar verbesserte, aber immer noch nicht so richtig Praxis-taugliche Notenpult, die seltsame Grunddisposition mit noch fehlenden Registern (bsp. Zunge 8' im Pedal), der fehlende Zimbelstern (!!!!!), und die fehlende Möglichkeit, einen Fußpiston für die Weiterschaltung des Sequenzers.
Der Klang und die vorhandenen Möglichkeiten der Intonation haben bei mir dennoch einen Entscheidungsprozess in Gang gesetzt, dessen Ende und Ergebnis noch nicht abzusehen ist . . ., obwohl? . . .

Mit herzlichem und dankbarem Gruß

Flauten

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 09:21 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 28.03.2024 09:23)
#11 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
ah

Hi Flauten,
The lack of an 8' reed in the pedal may soon be overcome when voices for loading are made available.
It is true that it is currently not possible to insert manual voices into the pedal, but it is possible to load new vcp files in any tab. When they are available for download, you will be able to insert all your favorite voices into any tab...

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 09:25
#12 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus

Zitat von ahlborn im Beitrag #11
The lack of an 8' reed in the pedal may soon be overcome when voices for loading are made available.
It is true that it is currently not possible to insert manual voices into the pedal, but it is possible to load new vcp files in any tab. When they are available for download, you will be able to insert all your favorite voices into any tab...

Wenn das keine erfreuliche Nachrichten sind!
Solange werde ich wohl noch warten können - oder ich entscheide mich dann vielleicht sogar für deine CantorumTrio (wenn nur das Gewicht nicht wäre . . .)?
Solange spiele ich dennoch mit sehr großer Freude meine "alte", um das CM100 erweiterte Cantorum!

Mit vorösterlichem Gruß

Flauten

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 10:10
#13 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus

Hallo Gianluca,

auch von mit ganz herzlichen Dank für Deine so umfangreichen Recherchen zum neuen Cantorum Duo plus!

Nun hast Du sogar die künftige Möglichkeit, eine 8'- Zunge ins Pedal zu laden, erläutert!

Super!!

Viele Grüße
Bernhard

PLZ (erste zwei Ziffern): 69

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 11:20
#14 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
PM
PM

Dear ahlborn,

many MANY MANY thanks for sharing your thoughts and your knowledge/expertise related to Physis / Physis +.
Great!

All the best, PM

„Bach ist Anfang und Ende aller Musik, auf ihm ruht und fuszt jeder wahre Fortschritt“  - Max Reger

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.03.2024 18:51
#15 RE: My new Cantorum Duo Plus
tr

Zitat von clemens-cgn im Beitrag #9
.... und was kann man denn nun mit DANTE machen. Ich bin schlicht zu beschränkt, es zu begreifen....

DANTE ist ein Audionetzwerk, das auf Ethernetverkabelung und -switche als Infrastruktur aufsetzt. Das hat bei größeren Installationen den Charme, dass die Orgel nur noch mit einem Netzwerkkabel zum nächsten Switch verdrahtet werden muss, man sich das Strippenziehen für analoge Signalübertragung sparen kann und deutlich längere Wege ohne Verluste überbrückt werden können. Auf der Gegenseite verfügen dann beispielsweise die PA-Verstärker ebenfalls über eine Netzwerkschnittstelle. Es gibt aber auch Aktivlautsprecher für zu Hause mit DANTE-Schnittstelle.
Theoretisch können wohl bis zu 500 Audiokanäle über einen Gigabit-Ethernetport übertragen werden. Insgesamt ziehlt das schon deutlich auf professionelle Anwendungen ab, aber warum nicht auch in größeren DO-Installationen, wenn die Wege zwischen Orgel und Abstrahlung weit sind.

Viele Grüße
Trompetendulzian

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!